What benefits can be derived from establishing a diverse workforce and maintaining a diverse customer and client base?
Management policies which ensure that lesbians, gay men and bisexuals are not discriminated against will make for a happier, more efficient workforce.
There are no direct costs involved in dealing with prejudice in the workforce but it will help organisations to:
• Retain and nurture existing talent
• Recruit from, and attract a wider range of talented candidates
• Benefit from lower turnover and absenteeism
• Demonstrate that the organisation is flexible and open to change
• Establish clear policies on discrimination to help eliminate costly and damaging legal challenges on unfair dismissal and sexual harassment.
There is a strong expectation amongst society that people will be treated fairly at work and will not have to deal with discrimination or harassment. Customers and clients regularly investigate the companies they buy from and deal with and if they do not like what they see the first impression will linger. Social responsibility is vitally important in the development and maintenance of business links.
June 8, 2007